Sunday, February 20, 2011

Letters from Irelend, August the 12th

" dear rose i take up my pen to rite those fue lines to you hoping to find you wel we are all wel at precent thank god wel rose casy Mcenif is to call to see you i cent a shall and a pipe to your husband there is a dauter of andy mccabes with her it is in her box we has to put it and the are to give it to you all rite i was short takikng i did not know the war was going of sow sown i onley got up the nite before the went a wy and the wid not let me home for a week katey is mrs meghay now wel rose i have now nues to tel you mor we are all wel at precent thank got i hope your asre all the same wel rose i will be watching for a letter we all goin in cending our love to you and husband and children i am watching for you to cent me your husbands likeness and your own and the babys to i hope yor coff is better we had a great wack the 15 of augst patrick and briget and the children all going me cending there love to you now more from your poor mother wite sown a keep mice rose for all nues with come home soon"

Translation:
Dear Rose,
I take up my pen to write those few lines to you hoping to find you well. We are all well at present, thank God. Well, Rose, Cacy McEniff is to call to see you. I sent a shawl and a pipe to your husband. There is a daughter of Andy McCabes with her. It is in her box. We had to put in and they are to give it to you. All right, I was short taking I did not know they were going so soon. I only got up the night before they went away. and they will not let me home for a week. Katey is Mrs. Meghay now. Well, Rose, I have no news to tell you more. We are all well at present, thank God. I hope yours are all the same. Well, Rose, I will be watching for a letter. We are all joining in sending our love to you and husband and children. I am watching for you to send me your husband's likeness and your own and the babies too. I hope your cough is better. We had a great week the 15 of August. Patrick and Briget and the children all joining me in sending their love to you. No more from your poor mother. Write soon and keep nice Rose for all news will come home now.

********************************************************************

Each letter seems to mention my G-grandmother's cough. I know she died in 1909, perhaps from a lung condition.

No comments: