Saturday, February 19, 2011

Letters from Ireland, May the 16th


"Dear Dauter Rose i sit down to ancer your kind and welcom letter which i was long watching for i thout you were sick be my draming about you wel rose i am sorry about your children being sick keep them warm and the will be all rite i hope wel rose i am got a little better but keeping very stiff and weak not ble to wach i cut all the spuds and we have all the crop in we were verry bysey all spring a very nise spring well rose the Burks is ceting sale the sixteenth of gune and if you gow to see them you will have to gow quick and i wont you if it lise in your power to bring your husband with you to see them i would be very proud of them seeing him dont let them now anything you care about gow in the best stile you can go in to them Patrick wants your husband to send him a pipe the are going to stop in a fue month here i had now letter from john cince before chrismas give my love to your ant rose adn to amy megill and uncle alick let me know how is lisey money well rose you may let the Burks now that there father can entertane them well his house is lick a cassel gratley in proved the are all earning plenty of money wel rose i mite live for another year and your chilren will be strong and you and them and james can come over to see as houle hard tile you have a big purs Patrick Briget and the fameley all going cending our love tow excuse my bad riting i cannot mind to letters after other give my love to your husband cend me his picture and your onn dont for get i have know more news to cent you at this time give my love to your thre children we have only three here now sine if any more we have anof write as you get this god be with you all fare well"

Translation:
Dear Daughter Rose,
I sit down to answer your kind and welcome letter which I was long watching for. I thought you were sick. Well, Rose, I am sorry about your children being sick, keep them warm and they will be all right I hope. Well, Rose, I am a little better but still very stiff and weak, not able to walk.

I cut all the spuds and we have all the crop in. We were very busy all spring, a very nice spring.

Well, Rose, the Burks are setting sail the sixteenth of June and if you go to see them, you will have to go quick. I want you, if it lies in your power, to bring your husband with you to see them. I would be very proud of them seeing him. Don't let them know anything you care about. Go in the best style you can go in to them.

Patrick wants your husband to send him a pipe. They are going to stop a few months here. I have had no letter from John since before Christmas.

Give my love to your Aunt Rose and to Amy Megill and Uncle Alek. Let me know how is Lisey Money.

Well, Rose, you may let the Burks know that their father can entertain them well. His house is like a castle, greatly improved. They are all earning plenty of money.

Well, Rose, I might live for another year and your children will be strong and you and James can come over to see us............

Patrick, Briget and the family all joining me in sending our love too. Excuse my bad writing, I cannot mind to letters. Give my love to your husband, send me his picture and your own. Don't forget. I have no more news to send you at this time. Give my love to your three children, we have only three here now since if any more, we have enough. Write as soon as you get this. God be with you all. Fare well.

*********************************************************************
If my great grandmother had three children when this letter was written by her mother, then it would put this letter prior to 1907 which is when my grandmother was born, the last child.
So, this letter dates from sometime between 1903 and 1906.

Perhaps after I have transcribed all of these letters, I will be able to put them in actual date order. Right now, I have organized them by the months they were written.

No comments: