Monday, February 21, 2011

Letters from Ireland, September the 9th

"dear dauter rose i sit down to rite those fue lines to you you mos be dead or sick you never ancred my last letter you would not think it worth your wile we are all wel at present thank god i hope those fue lines will find you the same let me now did you get my letters from john i got none cence chrismas from he he has forgot me i think wel rose we here that there si two of john mceniff sons home tow Barny and awn we never seen won of them lysey an burk has left old robesin and he is home loged in nublis he left her and the child in that country he is going to cend for her we had a very hot sumer and all wet now we will get it very hard to get the corn saved i would have rotw sowner onley i was not able i am a little better you may excuse my bad riting i cant mind any thing i cend my love to sister rose rite as sown as you get let me know how all the childer is all and let me know how is lysey Money and famely is i will rit her a letter sown rose let me know how is your coff or is it any better or how is your health i coff every morning till you would think i wid dy i am not able for to down any thing i will sown dy i am a hold woman
Patrick and famely cends there love to you and all the fameley i send my love to any Megill and rose now more to say at precent rite as sown as you get this letter know more from your poor mother Ann Smith rite sown and let me know are you alive"

Translation:
Dear Daughter Rose,
I sit down to write those few lines to you. You must be dead or sick, you never answered my last letter. You would not think it worth your while. We are all well at present, thank God. I hope those few lines will find you the same. Let me know, did you get my letters? From John I got none since Christmas from him, he has forgot me I think.
Well, Rose, we hear that there is two of John McEniff's sons home too, Barney and ...(cannot read name).. We never seen one of them. Lysey Ann Burke has left old Robesin and he is home lodged in nublis. He left her and the child in that country. He is going to send for her.
We had a very hot summer and all wet. Now we will get it very hard to get the corn saved.
I would have wrote sooner only I was not able, I am a little better. You may excuse my bad writing. I cant mind any thing.
I send my love to sister Rose. Write as soon as you get. Let me know how all the children is and let me know how is Lysey Money and family is. I will write her a letter soon. Rose, let me know how is your cough or is it any better or how is your health? I cough every morning till you would think I would die. I am not able for to do any thing. I will soon die, I am an old woman.
Patrick and family send their love to you and all the family. I send my love to any MeGill. and Rose, no more to say at present. Write as soon as you get this letter. No more from your poor mother, Ann Smith. Write soon and let me know you are alive.

No comments: