Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We HAVE become foster parents!

These two puppies have made their way to the base where Vince works. They were scrawny and obviously had been abandoned at the airport. The crew members have kept them outside (not allowed inside the base!) but have been trying to fatten them up a bit with food.

Now, we need to find them homes!

The lighter one is a girl, the darker one a boy. They are believed to be brother and sister and get along quite well. Vince said they play together and sleep together and are just adorable!

We will probably be their foster parents until we find them new homes. They cannot stay at the base, so when Vince leaves work today, he may have some company!

UPDATE: The pups are officially here. Their names are Bell (the female) and Ranger (the male) after the helicopter that Air-Evac flies. They are very energetic and playful. They will bark when Kashmir and Narnia bark, but they do not bark incessantly for no reason. They are eating well and often as we try to fatten them up a bit---their ribs are still showing a bit too much.
There is no sign of any illness or problem-- ears and eyes are clear, poop is normal!
Right now, they are sitting outside the window peering in at me, hoping I will take pity on them!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Something Old.......

In January, my friend Jena asked me if I could do some repairs on a quilt of her husband's. We met for lunch and then she introduced me to her husband's quilt. It was made by his grandmother and he now wants to preserve it.

I looked at this and I knew that there was no way to repair it. The back looks bad, too.

I told Jena that I would probably have to salvage large blocks out of the quilt and create a new one from these blocks.
When I got it home, and really looked at it, I realized that it would be hard to do.

I did manage to salvage 5 Twelve inch blocks from the quilt. It was hard working around the extensive damage and paint splatters. The original top was one solid piece of fabric. The original quilter used what looks like a thin blanket as batting (nothing at all like any batting I know of) and then a solid piece of fabric for the backing. I wanted to keep as much of the original quilting as I could in the blocks, and given the fragile state of the quilt, I left the three layers together when I cut my 12 inch blocks.

Then I searched and found three fabrics that would complement the colors in the quilt. Today, I finished putting the new quilt top together!