Sunday, January 11, 2009

Toothpaste! YAY!

I finally managed to get over to Oma's to pick up the Calcium Carbonate that I ordered. It was an ingredient in a toothpaste recipe that I wanted to try.

I had tried using just baking soda to clean my teeth and while it did a fine job, I just could not stand the taste! I thought that if I used this recipe, which included baking soda, calcium carbonate and several other ingredients, it would be more palatable.

So, this morning, I whipped up my first batch! While Oma did not have any peppermint essential oil to flavor it, I thought that the final product was quite good and acceptable! It looks just like white toothpaste and has the same consistency. It does not foam up as much as commercial toothpaste but that is okay as my mouth felt clean and felt wonderful! I then rinsed with a cinnamon rinse I mixed up and my mouth went WOW!

In church, I noticed that I still had that clean feeling to my mouth, and that was 2 hours after I had brushed and rinsed.

For those who are interested:
4 ounces calcium carbonate (1/2 cup)
2 ounces baking soda (1/4 cup)
enough glycerin to make a paste
1/8 teaspoon refined stevia or 1 teaspoon honey
10 drops essential oil such as peppermint or wintergreen

Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir vigorously until well blended. Store in a glass jar with a lid. It has a shelf life of 1 year. The recipe makes 3/4 cup.
From: Better Basics for the Home byAnnie Berthold-Bond.

1 comment:

Jack of Tales said...

You should flavor it with syrup! Yum!