Thursday, January 27, 2011

William Warrington marries Frances Cunningham


In conducting the ever evolving history of my family, I stumbled across this document. It is the record of my great great great grandparent's marriage in 1871. From what I can decipher of this rector's handwriting it says:
"On this thirty-first day of August
in the year one thousand eight hundred and thirty one
were married by Banns.
William Warrington, bachelor, farmer
& Frances Young, widow,
both of the ? of Cape Magdalen."

So I went in search of the Cape of Magdalen and came to the Magdalen Islands in Canada. They are actually a province of Quebec, a tiny group of islands in the Gulf of St Lawrence.

The reference citation for this marriage record mentions that the protestant church is in a town named Trois-Rivieres. So off I went in search of that town. The map shows a neighboring town of Cap-de-la-Madeleine.
(Cap-de-la-Madeleine is located on the north shore of the St Lawrence River at its confluence with the St-Maurice River.) Since this is so much closer to Trois-Rivieres, where they were married, I suspect that Cap-de-la-Madeleine is correct.

Of course, further research may show which is the actual residence of my ggg-grandparents at the time of their marriage.







2 comments:

Magdalen Islands said...

It is unlikely that William Warrington, bachelor, farmer
& Frances Young, widow,
both of the ? of Cape Magdalen, came from the Magdalen Islands. We are small enough that the names would have been remembered, although we did have a Reverend Young in the 1940's & 50's, but he came from away.

CC said...

Thanks for the feedback! I strongly believed that they did not come from the Magdalen Islands after I read through your blog! Historical records are difficult at time to decipher accurately so your comments are welcome.