I would have no idea where to begin my list! I have made many changes in my lifestyle in recent years, what a lot of people call "going green". These were lifestyle changes made for specific reasons: personal health, economics, and environmental to name a few.
1. I stopped using conditioner on my hair, liquid shower gels, liquid laundry detergent and laundry fabric softener. I wanted to reduce my plastic consumption, as well as the chemicals I was exposed to and that I was exposing the environment to. Plus, it saves me money to buy less!
2. I stopped taking plastic grocery sacks to the store. I collected and made my own reusable totes that I now keep in my vehicle. I worked for months to remember to use them and have achieved success! It probably took me 6 months to get in the habit. The occasional plastic grocery sack that ends up in my home gets reused over and over again until it falls apart and then gets recycled.
3. I use a different version of Luna Pads (that Cat talked about) from Many Moons Alternatives. I even managed to make my own so that I have plenty in supply for those light days!
4. I use a homemade deodorant powder or a mineral stone instead of commercial deodorant. Not every day, because summertime in Tennessee while I am in class is painfully hot! So, right now, it is a weekend, vacation and winter weather option for me.
5. I wear mostly cotton clothing. As items needed to be replaced, I purchased cotton. I gifted away a lot of my non-cotton fibers.
6. I compost. Anything that can be composted, is. I save scraps in a bucket in the freezer until I carry it to the compost heap as it saves on smells and potential bugs!
7. I stopped using paper towels and paper napkins and paper tissues. I have fabric for that!
8. I switched to a 100% recycled toilet paper that is wrapped in paper (no plastic there!)
9. I replaced my incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent ones. It was a challenge to find the globe style bulbs I wanted for my bathroom fixtures, but I did!
10. I stopped using Brita Filters for my water. I found that the water quality here was fine and that it tasted fine as well. I use aluminum or steel bottles to carry my water.
11. I am more diligent about requesting paper packaging on any item that I have shipped to my home. Companies are wonderfully agreeable in most instances!
12. I canceled all magazines, eliminated junk mail and catalogs that are sent to me.
What have you done?