Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New You?

What about that resolution? 

Yesterday, my young friend Dakota asked me what 'resolution' meant. 

I explained that it was a custom (or tradition, need, feeling, want, dream, wish.....you get the idea) that some people follow on New Years Eve every year. 

A resolution can be anything that you want to change about yourself. 

Now, we all have made resolutions in the past, some we have kept, some we have not.  The best ones became habits. 

Oftentimes, people bite off more than they can chew when making resolutions. 

(I told Dakota I was going to stop biting my nails.  Mom C stated "You do not bite your nails!"  So, apparently, I have managed to achieve that resolution.)


Change takes time.  A resolution made on New Years Eve may help some people get started, but I know from my own personal experience that I will start off well and then get caught up in my 'normal' lifestyle and neglect to follow through.  Instead of creating yet one more stressor for myself, I am not going to make any resolutions this year, I plan to continue living my life one day at a time, enjoying the moments I can and not bothering much with those I do not enjoy. 

What are you doing with your life? 



No comments: